My focus in the past decade has been nourishing and improving my health through food. Healthy skincare was always something I wanted to understand and apply but was so overwhelmed with where to start, what to use, and what to afford. I’ve never been a makeup junkie. Near the end of my 30’s I started to notice my skin changing, dark circles, age spots, rough patches. I would go to the health food store and try to find something with ingredients I recognized or could pronounce. I avoided wearing makeup except for eye liner and mascara which was bought on total trust of the Ulta gal and what she deemed “healthy”. The clean products had no effectiveness for me. Even using coconut oil made my face even drier.
Clean and effective products are hard to come by. I am a mother who wants to use the cleanest ingredients on my skin and my family’s skin in the same way I use clean ingredients in my cooking. When I turned 40, I went to see a dermatologist due to a darkspot on my cheek and nose that was caused from a previously used prescription skin cream. He wanted me to add more of the same prescription cream to burn off this new spot on my skin. Something inside of me absolutely refused!!!A few weeks later, I had a friend send me a sample of the Beautycounter charcoal mask. Literally, after one time of use, the darkened spot on my cheek/nose had disappeared. I was happily surprised that I saw immediate results without having to burn my skin with harsh chemicals.
When I learned how clean, safe, and effective the Beautycounter products are, I was hooked. They were even voted as #1 Paleo-friendly skincare by Paleo Magazine in 2017. My family and I have now been using Beautycounter skin care, body care, and makeup for 1 and 1/2 years. At 42, I am truly pleased with how my skin feels. It is softer, more hydrated, clear, and has less visible lines and wrinkles. I have chosen to use Beautycounter for the sake of mine and my family’s health. It is a pleasure to be on board with their mission to get safer products into the hands of everyone.
Why safer products matter
There are about 10,000 chemicals commonly found in personal care products —only 10% of those chemicals have safety data. The United States has not passed a federal law to regulate the ingredients used in personal care products since 1938. The European Union has spent the past two decades banning or restricting more than 1,300 ingredients—the U.S. has banned 30 to date. Even more troubling, chemicals linked to breast cancer, learning disabilities, infertility, and other health issues are allowed in the products we use every day. Don’t just take my word for it, read over here about the 6 shocking truths about American Beauty Products. There has to be a better way, so Beautycounter is doing something about it. They are seeking to change their own industry.
Have you heard of EWG’s Skindeep database? They rate the toxicity level of any and every product you use. Beautycounter products are all rated between 1-3 and many of them are EWG certified. This speaks to the level and commitment of health and safety in each product you use with Beautycounter.
My top 6 favorite Beautycounter products
- The Countermatch collection : Specifically the Adaptive Moisture Lotion and Sleep recovery cream. It really is the the ultimate solution for hydrating your skin. This line has done wonders for my dry skin.
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 20: I confess before this product, I never used SPF on my face. This offers a light coverage to even skin tone and protect from sun damage.
- Touchup Concealer Pen : This pen is magical. My previous concealer was a tiny jar and I hated dipping my finger in it and rubbing it under my eyes. This pen is light and glides smooth and doesn’t smudge or cake under the eye. This is also included in the Flawless in 5 face kit (which is the ultimate set for no fuss makeup look for busy gals.)
- Vit C. Face oil : I love all 3 face oils. One of the holiday sets consisted of all 3 face oils and I have been using each one in different sections of my face. The Vit C is my favorite for brightening my tired skin in the morning.
- Nourishing Cream Cleanser : My daily cleanser is gentle, creamy and works like a charm. I also love the exfoliator.
- Eye Makeup Remover : This is the best eye makeup remover I have ever used. Hands Down! It is safe, gentle, and ultra effective.
How you can switch to safer
You can choose to use your money to shop at my consultant link for beauty products with safer ingredients. Feel free to Join my Facebook group, Remedy+Beautycounter for product reviews and health tips.
You can become a Band of Beauty Member
- 15% Product Credit with every purchase
- Free Gift when you sign up and spend $50
- Free Shipping over $100
- Member-Exclusive Offers
Join me here to lead the change so all women, men, and children are able to have access to safer products through better health protective laws. One day, we will not have to read labels on personal care products anymore because our voices were heard loud and clear.
- Become an advocate for safer skincare and better beauty
- Get great discounts on products
- Earn money, perks, and rewards
- Build a business at your own pace
Want to continue to learn more? Sign up for my Beautycounter newsletter here
Melanie Connell, MsPT, MTC, CHC